A humanly-scaled community of living units and courts.
The cellular expression of patterns of Biophilia are used to set the character/quality of the architecture:
- Prospect and Refuge – Pathways offer expansive vistas and secluded courts offer shelter from ocean breeze
- Thermal and Airflow Variability – Cross-flow and stack-effect alignments serve internal and external spaces
- Complexity and Order – The form/texture of the community derives from incremental ‘cellular’ aggregation
Interior spaces accentuate the cascade of light at the ceiling boundary and vertical corners
- Light shelves bounce light to the interior spaces
- Shading fins provide ground-up and top-down shielding of view for unit privacy.
- Photovoltaic electrical production powers heating, cooling, and lighting
- Electrically driven ground source, closed-loop heat-pump chillers provide heating and cooling
- Raised-floor displacement ventilation with local tempering of external ventilation
- Hydronic floor plates function serve seasonally as heated slabs or chilled beams
- The perforated-metal south walls temper cross ventilation air
- The plant-tray north walls oxygenate cross ventilation air.
- Ventilation towers create a temperature differential between ground plane and sky to enhance the flow of air within units and across exterior spaces.
- Roof gardens provide for socialization and food production
- Evacuated Tube solar hot water collectors heat domestic water
Water harvesting is organized from roof-scape to the ground-scape:
- Rainwater for irrigation and washing
- Gray water for flushing
- Black water for cleansing with Living Machine technology